Thanks Audrey of Los Altos Hills for dropping off a CD with photos from the bee rescue at her house on 9/18. I try to take photos when I can during the bee removal but it’s hard when I’m high up on a ladder or when my gloves are covered with thick sweet and sticky honey.
Here are some pictures taken by Audrey.
Me using the multi-functional tool to make a clean cut on the plywood to expose the colony.
The bees entered through a hole a squirrel or rat chewed through the wall, where the mammal created a home. Notice all the stored acorn that was at the bottom of the plywood I removed the expose the bees. Some parts of the acorn was even attached to the bottom of some of the combs.
Chaos begins when I start cutting out the combs. Was not using the bee vac or smoke yet. No wonder why I got stung so many times through my suit and gloves. Here’s my dad shaking off some bees before we framed this nice large section.
We strapped a medium box onto the ladder so we did not have to walk up and down to frame the combs. This saved us a lot of time.