A local beekeeper named Earl referred this bee rescue to us. Earl catches swarms but does not do structural removals. I got in contact with the homeowner Chris and went for a site check and found the bees entering through the attic vent holes. Last Sunday April 29th was the scheduled removal.
This house uses two pieces of wood to the attic as most only uses one. The outer piece was easy to remove. The inner piece was more difficult being a little further in and it was at an angle. Here’s what we found after opening them up. The recipricating saw knocked down much of the combs but they were all DRONE brood which means if they don’t produce any female bees the colony would eventually die off. And I think we have yet another drone laying queen.
The vibration and knocking drove a lot of the bees in towards the insulation including the queen bee. We used our beevac to remove all the bees, then just like I explained to Chris during the site check, if we wait 15 to 20 min while we started to clean up, she might run out. And that’s exactly what happened. I looked up and spotted the queen. Ran up the ladder with the queen catcher and caught her! We were thrilled to catch her though she might be a drone laying queen, then she’ll need to be replaced.
Thanks Earl for the referral and Chris to allowing us to save our local honeybees!