Came home Thursday afternoon to find a cluster of bees outside of the entrance probably trying to stay cool as temperatures was in the 80’s and the bird house was in full afternoon sun whereas before they were nicely shaded under a large oak tree. Then I noticed a line of small aggressive ants coming and going from the bird house. I thought maybe we broke some combs with honey during our transportation home the other night when we picked it up so after dinner my dad and I got our cutout equipment and relocated the colony into a Langstroth hive setup.
Here’s our first peek into the hive after removing the side where the camera was installed. It made removing the side easy thanks to only four screws. There were a ton of bees so we used the bee vac to remove some bees first so we can easily cutout the combs.
This hive swarmed about a month or so ago but still have a strong population. The new queen is mated and laying strong patterns. We found some weird stuff inside the bird house. At the bottom there were two different types of eggs, one was round and soybean size, the other was large rice shaped. Unsure what those were and didn’t get any good photos of it.
A view of the bees from where the camera was installed. The colony used all available space in this bird house.
Front and side removed so we can access the combs to transfer into medium frames.
The bees have been living in this bird house for at least four years according to Mike. You can see some almost black comb inside the hive.
And here’s our new 2012 queen. Very golden in color!
Bird house with all combs removed. We will put it back together with screws and use it as a swarm trap. 🙂